Sagas

Monday, February 11, 2008

Havamal (Hovamol) - Poetic Edda

I enjoyed Havamal's morals that "taught" the audience. However, some verses were boring and repetitive:

"I rede thee, Loddfafnir! and hear thou my rede,
--Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:"

Overall each had it's own lesson to learn, so they weren't too bad. I also found it interesting that the phrase translated "the speech of Hor" means "Hovamol," which clarified the meaning of the title and the poem for me. It also seemed weird that a lot of the verses were meddled with and added on to by editors over and over again. A verse that stood out to me was:

84. A man shall trust not the oath of a maid,
Nor the word a woman speaks;
For their hearts on a whirling wheel were fashioned,
And fickle their breasts were formed.

This verse stood out to me, not in a good way though! It just showed me how men do not trust or think highly of women. It seemed to me to say that women were made so fast and sloppy and were made to be deceitful to men and for these reasons men cannot trust them.

1 Comments:

At February 11, 2008 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Ian Meharg said...

Do not trust...? Present tense? ;_;

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home