Sagas

Monday, April 21, 2008

Favorite Character: Gisli Sursson

One of my favorite characters from all of the sagas was Gisli Sursson. I also really enjoyed the character Egil Skallagrimsson, but I figured he might be a more popular character so I will write about Gisli Sursson. Gisli was from one of the sagas we read early in the semester called, "Gisli's Sursson's Saga." In this saga Gisli proclaims the fate of his three friends and himself and it comes true when they are eventually all killed and not friends anymore. Gisli became outlawed after he killed Thorgrim (his old friend), but survived a long time without being captured or killed because he was given help and refuge by many people who admired and honored him. Even though he broke the law and was in hiding, he was still well-liked by many people. Gisli's intelligent and loyal wife also stood by his side and cared for him while he was outlawed. Gisli was courageous, intelligent, and also recited well-versed poems throughout the saga. I chose Gisli because I enjoyed the plot and his role in this saga. He was definately the main character and I believe the reader/listener is supposed to feel sad for him when he is finally struck down in the end. Gisli was a great fighter and his bravery was shown when he stood up to those who were trying to kill him and actually defeated many of them. A line from the saga states that, "although he was deemed a man of great prowess, fortune was not always with him." More importantly another line says, "it is said everywhere that no man in this land had ever been known to put up a greater stand than Gisli." I admired Gisli's character and his courage so that is why I chose him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home